Nov 10, 2013

Avery's Room Overhaul

There's one room in our home that I haven't even attempted to decorate. 

It's not because I don't have anything to decorate with, or I don't have the time......

It's because I HATE the color that the room is painted.  It sounds silly, but it's true.  Avery's room doesn't have a single thing decorating-wise in it because I hate the color of the walls.  When we moved in, I wanted to paint three of the walls a white color and then one wall a light red.  I was imagining Avery's room to be like this:




I was picturing a subtle Minnie-themed room.  But our painter, who was retired and was painting our house out of a total favor, told me that he really despised painting the color red.  It was a headache, it needed multiple coats, and if I wasn't married to the color, he would really like it if I would pick a different color.  Since he was painting basically our entire house because he'd known Marty since birth, I decided to go with a different color. 

When we lived in Bardstown, Avery's room was painted a purple color.  Her nursery was a light lavender with black and white accents.  When the painter told me I needed to pick a new color, I thought I would just keep some consistency in Avery's brand new room and paint it the same color as her old room. 

I was wayyyyyyyy off on the color. 


I know it doesn't look that bad from the pictures, but in person, it's overwhelming.  As my sister put it once, it's a "teeny bopper purple."  It's in your face.  And I despise it.  Anytime I've gotten a little bit of inspiration, I go into her room and turn right back out because I just don't want to decorate around that color.

So.  New room for Avery!  Yes, we just moved into this house in March.  But I'm SO unhappy with this color and I really want to give Avery a cute room. 

Inspiration!  I'm planning the entire room around this one print I found on Pinterest.



I'M OBSESSED WITH THIS.  I found it on Pinterest and it took me to a Tumblr site of a girl who makes some brilliant artwork and doodles of Disney characters.  I resized it an 11x14 and I'm going to put it above her bed. 

That's as far as I've gotten.  I want it to be Disney/Princess themed without being in your face Disney.  I don't want Disney sheets on the bed, Disney stickers on the wall, none of that.  I want to find pieces from different sites and put it all together to be Disney/Princess-inspired.  Everything I'm finding on Pinterest is just falling flat in my opinion.  Until I can find more options for décor, I'm focusing in on paint colors. 

I made a mistake once....one I won't be repeating soon.  I will not be picking something so in your face for my kid's room (at least until she's older).  I'm not afraid of color....I painted my old office a BRIGHT turquoise for goodness sakes.  I just want something more calming.  More importantly, I want something that's going to last.  Something that I can change the décor around and not have to paint again. 

Options:

Starting at the top, I still like the idea of Avery's room being purple.  When I asked her what color she wanted her room to be, she said "Purple!!"  Thank goodness it wasn't pink. 

I love the idea of doing a yellow.  It's so bright and fun and sunny and it's the first color I see whenever I look at the Princess print.  But is it a color that will be easy to decorate around and switch out themes? 

Then there's the blue.  I love it with the print, but I'm just wondering what it'll look like in Avery's room.  She's not really a blue person anyway.  

On top of the print, there's another factor to consider.  Her rug.


I bought this a couple of months ago on a trip to IKEA.  It was back when I was on a kick to finally decorate her room and I thought this rug would be the key to making those purple walls work.  Well, it didn't.  I still love the rug, but it didn't inspire me to decorate around it.  I still love the rug, I just don't know how it'll work with the new plans for her room. 

Ugh.  Too many decisions.  How much do interior decorators cost again??

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...